Our library of recommended books for children ages two through five has been carefully selected by literacy experts in the field. These are simply suggestions. All listed books may not be appropriate for all classrooms. Please consider the needs and ages of the children you read to when making your book selections. Children love being read books that you enjoy. Pick books that you remember. Books with big pictures, repetition, rhyme, and surprise are always great hits.
CLICK HERE for the Ready Readers recommended reading list for 3-5s (provided at training and in the returning reader packet each fall).
CLICK HERE for the recommended list for 2s.
CLICK HERE for an extensive book list of selections featuring African-American characters.
CLICK HERE to download wonderful winter titles!
CLICK HERE to download super spring selections!
Check out this new website, Blue Hair and the Ghost, developed by a preschool teacher and a librarian. Here, you will find book reviews and recommendations, as well as ideas for simple activities. You can also sign-up for their newsletter.
- Check out the Booksource Top 10 Read-Alouds for 2014 (so far) by clicking here!
- The Missouri Building Block Picture Book Award, administered by the Youth Services Community of Interest of the Missouri Library Association, is presented annually to the author and illustrator of the picture book voted most popular by preschool children in Missouri’s public libraries. Click below for the full list of the 2013 nominees and for a complete listing of past winners: http://molib.org/awards/buildingblock/
- Click the link below for the 2012 American Library Association Notable Books: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/notalists/ncb
- Ready Readers has opened an Amazon store. Click here to visit our store. Browse our Amazon store for favorite books, descriptions, reviews, etc. If you choose to buy a book, Ready Readers receives a percentage of the sale.
- Browse your local librarys website or talk with your local childrens librarian or bookseller about great read-aloud suggestions.
- CLICK HERE to view tips on selecting books that encourage participation (including a few recommendations as well) from the SLCL (2010).
- Pat Simons, the founder of Ready Readers, has also compiled a list of her favorite best read-aloud preschool books for children. Download this invaluable list here.
- Patty Carleton, Director of Youth Services for the St. Louis Public Library, shared a few of her new favorites at the 2014 Spring Volunteer Workshop. CLICK HERE to take a peek!
- Additional high-quality read-aloud book lists are included in the following:
- The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
- Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child Who Loves to Read by Diane Frankenstein
- Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
- Black Books Galore!: Guide to Great African American Childrens Books by Donna Rand, Toni Trent Parker, and Sheila Foster